Shoreline Half-Marathon, 2005.
- Associate Professor of Forest Economics, School of Forest
Resources and Environmental Science
- Coordinator of International Programs, School of Forest Resources
and Environmental Science
- Michigan Tech University
- 1400 Townsend Drive
- Houghton, MI 49931-1295 USA
- email: email@example.com
- phone: (906) 487-2291
- fax: (906) 487-2915
- Recent and Current Graduate Students:
- William A.J. Hart. Coursework option.
- David R. Critton - Coursework option.
- Adrienne Blauser. Course work option. Cultural, Environmental
and Marketing consultant in Salmon, Idaho. Evolution
Marketing, Salmon, Idaho.
- Adrienne, currently working with Salmon
- Kelley Bassett Gundale. Project Paper: Communicating Science
to Fourth Grade Students at Hancock Elementary School in Hancock,
Michigan. National Science Foundation, GK-12 Fellow. Currently:
Community Forestry Coordinator for the State of Montana Department
of Natural Resources and Conservation Forestry Division.
- Glade Michael Sowards. Thesis: A
comparison of initial superstructure costs of timber bridges
with those of steel, concrete and prestressed concrete. Completed
MS, February 1998.
- Don Czarniewski. Project: Rural type III landfills: A
case study of commercial viability and the costs of regulatory
compliance. Completed MS. August 1996.
- * Also, the Jason Anderson thesis
- Currently 16 graduate students in the Loret
Miller Ruppe Peace Corps Master's International Program in Forestry.
Selected Professional Publications:
- Orr, B. 1985. Refugee forestry in Somalia. The Rural Sociologist.
- Orr, B., and K.J. Lee. 1990. A nonparametric analysis of
variable cost minimization in the US paper industry. Applied
- Orr, B.D., and J. Buongiorno. 1991. Employment Instability
in Forested Counties. J. of World Forest Resource Management
- Orr, B.D., D.D. Reed and G. Mroz. 1994. Three Basal Area
Level Harvest Trials in Uneven-aged Northern Hardwoods. Northern
Journal of Applied Forestry 11(4):117-123.
- Orr, B. 1995. Natural Forest Management in the Sahelian Ecosystems
of Southern Niger. J. of Arid Environments. 30:129-142.
- Orr, B. 1996. A rapid method of estimating soil erosion using
trapped sediment: A case study from a forest road on the Cumberland
Plateau of Tennessee. Mountain Research and Development 16(4):419-423.
- Orr, B. 1997. Land use change on Michigan's Lake Superior
shoreline: integrating land tenure and land cover type data.
J. of Great Lakes Research 23(3):328-338.
- Orr, B., C.H. Coole Jr., Glade M. Sowards Jr. 2000. Costs
of demonstration projects: a study of timber bridge construction.
J. of Transportation Engineering 126(3):279-281.
- Orr, B., J.R. Mihelcic, and T. Van Dam. 2003. Engineering
help while getting a degree. IEEE Potentials 22(2):32-34.
- Martinez, I., J.B. Pickens, D.L. Richter, and B. Orr. 2003.
Eutypella Canker Clustering and Volume Loss in the Western Upper
Peninsula of Michigan. Northern J. of Applied Forestry. 20(4):186-187.
- Orr B., and J.B. Pickens. 2003. Public Access to Lake Superior
and Attribute Values of Proximate Non-Shoreline Property. J.
of Great Lakes Research 29(4):616-629.
- Ploetz, K., and B. Orr. 2004. Wild herb use in Bulgaria.
Economic Botany 58(2):231-241.
- Jarvis, M.C., A.M. Miller, J. Sheahan, K. Ploetz, J. Ploetz,
R.R. Watson, M.P. Ruiz, C.A.P. Villapan, J.G. Alvarado, A.L.
Ramirez, and B. Orr. 2005. Edible Wild Mushrooms of hte Cofre
de Perote Region, Veracruz, Mexico: An ethnomycological study
of common names and uses. Economic Botany 58(Supplement):S111-S115.
- "What is Art?" in Fennel Stalk 1987(Winter):57-58.
- "Bricks Must Be Fired" in Egorag 4:1-8.
- "Wooden Carvings" in Malcontent 28:unpaged.
- "The Ceremony of Twins Falling on Their Face" in
Timber Creek Review 2(2):12-16.
- "A Good Fable Is Often Better Than the Truth" in
Timber Creek Review 6(2):5-10.
- Appalachian Trail,
Georgia to Maine, 1974
- BS - Forest Science and Soil Science, University of Wisconsin
- Peace Corps Lesotho,
- My time in Lesotho.
- InterChurch Relief for the Horn of Africa, Somalia,
- My time in Somalia.
- MA - Economics, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1986
- PhD - Forest Economics, University of Wisconsin Madison,
- Overlooking the Niger River, Benin in the background. 1991.
Courses currently taught:
- FW4080 - Forest Economics and Finance
- FW5760 - Graduate Tropical Forestry
- FW5710 - Trees in Agricultural Systems
- FW5720 - International Forestry Seminar
- FW5730 - International Forestry Practicum
- FW5740 - Overseas Research
- FW5770 - Community Planning and Development
Page maintained by Blair Orr:
Most recent update: 18 October 2005.