- Durability of wood-based composite building materials
- the affect of manufacturing variables on decay, mold, and insect resistance
- preservative systems for use in wood-based composites, particularly OSB and thermoplastic/wood fiber composite decking
- test methods for evaluating the durability of composite materials and commodities
- water repellents
- Novel preservative systems for treatment of solid wood
- borate-based wood preservatives
- polymer nanoparticle carrier systems
- adaption of agricultural biocides for wood preservation use
- B.Sc. in Bio/Organic Chemistry (1st Class Honors), Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada, 1976.
- M.Sc. in Physical Organic Chemistry, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada, 1979.
- Ph.D. in Wood Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, 1984.
- FW1035 Wood Anatomy and Properties
- FW2046 Wood Physics
- FW4024 Wood Preservation and Drying
- FW3098 Mill Tour and Seminar
- 1998 MTU-Forest Products Society Professor of the Year
- 1999 MTU-Forest Products Society Professor of the Year